Top tips to save your phone once you get it wet!

February 07, 2018

Top tips to save your phone once you get it wet!

Top tips to save your phone once you get it wet. 

 

Inasmuch as we may want to protect our phones, accidents do happen. Maybe you drop it into the toilet bowl, which happens very often actually, accidentally drop it into the pool or even wetness from rainfall. What do you do? There are a lot of tips being thrown around, but some of them are actually misleading.

Fortunately, most of the flagship phones being released of late will usually have a water resistance feature. This is measured in terms of IP (Ingress Protection) rating where the figures represent both dust and water resistance. The Samsung S8, for example, has an IP68 rating which means that it is completely dust and water resistant. However, some of the older models and mid-range devices do not have this IP rating and are therefore at risk of water damage. There is some good news, though, since these tips can help save your device in case you find yourself in a tough spot.

What to do

  1. The first thing you have to do is take it out of the water immediately because the longer it stays in contact with water, the worse the damage will be
  2. Next is to remove the battery because electric current can cause a short circuit and damage the electrical parts. Do not even bother with powering it off. However, if the battery is non-removable, then you will have to settle for powering it off
  3. Then give your phone a quick wipe to remove any water on its surface. Using a dry cloth, wipe off the entire surface and also carefully try to reach into the ports as well
  4. Now comes the final part, which involves using substances that absorb water from the surrounding environment. Of course, the most accessible option is rice, as you must have seen in movies and on TV. One downside of this is that the rice can then get soft, mushy and stick inside the ports. Besides, the starch on rice grains can also get inside the phone and make the insides messy. While this may not be your immediate concern, it’s better to use a synthetic desiccant, which would be more effective. If you have none of these handy, just use a paper towel to wrap the phone loosely and then dip it in a bowl of rice and leave it for at least 24 hours

What not to do

There are some things you might do to help but actually end up causing more damage. For example:

  1. Shaking, tapping or banging – it might cause water to spread further inside
  2. Leaving the phone in the sun – the UV rays can damage some of the internal components
  3. Using a hairdryer – this will just push water deeper into the device
  4. Freezing – it doesn’t the problem of water in the device; eventually, the frozen ice shall melt when you power on
  5. Heating – don’t use a radiator or microwave attempting to get the water to evaporate

 


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.